Marvin Dodson-Carl Perkins Scholarship
The 2020 Marvin Dodson-Carl Perkins Scholarships are sponsored by the Kentucky Education Association.
Who May Apply: Members of the KEA Aspiring Educators who are juniors, seniors, MAT candidates or post-baccalaureate students seeking a first-time teaching endorsement in a Kentucky college or university during the 2019-20 school year.
How Much: KEA will award scholarships totaling $6,000. No single award will be greater than $1,000 or less than $500. The winners will be selected by the KEA MOVE Committee.
Requirements: Applicants must:
- Be a college junior, senior, post-baccalaureate student or MAT candidate during 2019-20 and not have won this award before.
- Be a member of the KEA Aspiring Educators
- Plan to teach in Kentucky
Selection criteria: Applicants will be judged on:
- Leadership/involvement in the KEA Aspiring Educators
- Community involvement through the Association
- Intent to continue involvement in the Association on the state, local or national level
Applications: Submit these documents, along with a cover letter:
- A letter from your college verifying that you are enrolled in a program leading to a Kentucky teaching certificate, that your grade point average is at least 3.0, and showing the number of credit hours you have completed. A copy of your current transcript is acceptable.
- A current resume including information on your education, work experience, leadership roles, community service and special talents
- At least two letters of professional and/or personal reference
- An essay of no more than 500 words explaining why you want to be a teacher; the nature of your involvement in the KEA Aspiring Educators; and why you are applying for the scholarship.
Selection: Recipients will be selected by KEA's MOVE Committee. Finalists may be interviewed if the committee deems it necessary. Winners will be notified of their award by email. Scholarship checks will be presented at the KEA Delegate Assembly, April 2020, in Louisville.
For more Information: Contact David Patterson, MOVE Committee staff liaison, at firstname.lastname@example.org